Home   Sport   Article

WATCH: Keith manager Craig Ewen analyses his team's Highland League defeat at Lossiemouth and looks ahead to the Scottish Cup first round tie with Darvel

By Craig Christie

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!

CRAIG Ewen wants Keith to bounce back from a disappointing display at Lossiemouth on Saturday by rising to the Scottish Cup occasion.

Keith manager Craig Ewen. Picture: Becky Saunderson..
Keith manager Craig Ewen. Picture: Becky Saunderson..

The Maroons play host to Ayrshire side Darvel, who have stepped up from junior football and make their first-ever appearance in the senior Scottish Cup at Kynoch Park this weekend.

Ewen expects a tough tie and says Keith will need to show big improvements from their 2-0 defeat at Lossiemouth.

A Dean Stewart goal inside two minutes set the Coasters up for victory with Ross Morrison's second half strike consigning Keith to a second straight league loss, on the back of an unbeaten four-game run.

Ewen introduced former Aberdeen winger Michael Dangana and ex-Deveronside attacking midfielder Nathan Ross as trialists in Saturday's game, and said both players made a good impression.

However Keith lost Stewart Hutcheon to injury midway through the first half while new centre back Jordan Robertson - son of former Aberdeen, Rangers and Scotland star Davie - also limped off having been drafted in when Ryan Robertson was unavailable.

Keith did have chances, with Ross just missing the head of Michael Selfridge with a tempting chip across the goalmouth, whie top scorer Przemyslaw Nawrocki was twice blocked out in front of goal at the end of the first half.

Ross fired into the side netting at the start of the second half following a Luke Emmett break on the counter attack.

A dangerous Dangana ball from the left just missed the onrushing Ross, while impressive midfielder Tom Andrews fired a great chance over when Dangana and Ross combined to set him up.

After going 2-0 down, Keith went three up front with young sub Nathan McKeown looking lively alongside Nawrocki and fellow sub Andy Stewart in attack.

McKeown had the ball in the net with ten minutes to go but the offside flag had already gone up.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Keep up-to-date with important news from your community, and access exclusive, subscriber only content online. Read a copy of your favourite newspaper on any device via the brand new HNM App.

Learn more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More