Home   Sport   Article

Islavale make it seven wins in a row, Lossiemouth United net nine, New Elgin's management duo denied first win in cup

By Craig Christie

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

New Elgin's new management team have been denied their first victory in charge by a refereeing switch.

Former Lossiemouth man Dean McCall ended up refereeing New Elgin's cup tie on Saturday.
Former Lossiemouth man Dean McCall ended up refereeing New Elgin's cup tie on Saturday.

Co-managers Anthony Newlands and Stuart Cameron guided the Pinefield club to a 3-2 victory over Deveronside in the first round of the Quest Engineering Cup.

However, the result has been declared null-and-void following an injury to the match referee which led to a New Elgin coach taking charge of the game.

The ref was unable to continue just 90 seconds after kick-off, leading to a series of phone calls between the club and league officials.

Home player coach Dean McCall was allowed to pick up the whistle and with Deveronside giving the switch their blessing, the game was allowed to continue.

Goals by Craig Sim (2) and Michael Payne earned the Pinefield side a 3-2 success, with Jody Munro scoring twice for 'Side.

However, the league have wiped the result off the slate and the tie will now need to be replayed.

Islavale have hit great form, clocking up their seventh consecutive win in all competitions after a 5-1 win over Longside, also in the Quest Cup.

An own goal gave the Buchan visitors the lead but James Stables equalised before half time.

Vale took charge in the second half with Saul Phimister, Brodie Christie - his 20th of the season - Matty Nicol and Stuart Thomson (pen) on target.

Lossiemouth United ran riot away to bottom club Cruden Bay, registering a 9-1 win in the Championship.

United had already defeated the Buchan side 7-1 in Lossie this season and went goal crazy, with Scott Dunn and Ross Archibald helping themselves to a brace apiece.

Ryan Higgins, Harvey Henderson, Alex Matczak, Finlay Mackay and sub Matt Cuffley also scored for the visitors.

Burghead Thistle made it seven wins in their last eight Championship games with a 4-0 win at Whitehills.

It was Thistle's fifth win on the spin, earned by goals from Kelvin Mackenzie, Ryan MacBean, Finlay Nicol and Lewis Mullen, the last two fater Burghead's Liam McKidd was sent off.

Dufftown were denied victory in an eight-goal thriller at Banchory St Ternan by two late goals.

After going behind early on, the Toonsers struck through Kris Duncan (pen), Kelvin Main and Murdo Reid to lead 3-1.

Banchory scored a second before half time but Logan Grant's 76th minute strike seemed to set the visitors up for victory.

However, Main was sent off for conceding a penalty which the home team scored with ten minutes to go.

Banchory then grabbed a share of the spoils with an 89th minute equaliser.

Forres Thistle maintained their good run with a 2-0 success at home to Hall Russell United. Matty Milne and Jamie Souter got the goals.

Rothie Rovers had two players sent off in their 3-1 defeat at Stonehaven in the Premier League.

Trailing 1-0 at half time, Rovers had Murray Dawson sent off on the hour and soon conceded a second.

The ten men pulled one back through Murray Thompson but then saw Jamie McKinnon dismissed for a second booking, and a third Stonehaven goal ended the contest.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More