Home   Sport   Article

Keith hero Cammy Keith ends decade as he began it - by hitting the back of the net for his beloved Maroons

By Staff Reporter

Get the Grampian Online newspaper titles sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper

KEITH goal machine Cammy Keith ended the decade as he started it by scoring for the Maroons.

The familiar sight of Cammy Keith celebrating a Maroons goal.
The familiar sight of Cammy Keith celebrating a Maroons goal.

The Kynoch Park centre forward was twice on target at Turriff, but instead of coming away with the three points, his side had to settle for a share of the spoils in a six-goal thriller.

Keith begin the 20s with a Moray derby at home to Forres Mechanics on Saturday. Could captain Cammy kick off the new decade as he did the last with a goal?

The deadly number 9, who made it 29 goals for his calendar year with a double at Turriff, had converted his team's first goal of the departing decade at Lossiemouth in another draw on January 23, 2010.

At the Haughs last weekend, the Maroons stormed into a two-goal lead, only to be pegged back at 2-2. Another Cammy Keith strike late on had the Maroons believing they had secured an away day festive win, only for an even later Turra leveller to ensure the match ended all square.

Gregor Macdonald was unlucky not to give his team the lead in the 18th minute, his drive cracking back off the bar with Fraser Hobday beaten.

The 'keeper then blocked another shot as the loose ball flew about in the penalty area.

The Maroons then struck with two goals inside a minute.

Cammy Keith cleverly steered the ball wide of the diving goalie into the bottom corner. Then a marvellous Craig Macaskill right wing cross saw Ross County loanee Macdonald rise like a salmon to direct his header into the top corner.

Far from knocking the Christmas stuffing out of the young home side, they hit right back and only a fine Greg Simpson point blank save denied them.

The homesters poured forward after the break, forcing Keith onto the back foot, and it was no surprise that it was game on with 69 minutes played, Angus Grant clipping the ball over Simpson from 10 yards.

With 11 minutes remaining it was all square when the Maroons failed to clear their lines and Robert Ward blasted home from the centre of the penalty area.

However, within two minutes a Macaskill shot was hoofed past by the goalie for a corner. From the ensuing award, that man Keith gleefully rammed home his 17th goal of the season.

There was a sting in the tail though, and three minutes from the end, defensive dithering let Grant pounce to slam home amidst a ruck of players to wrap up the draw.

Keith will have to regain their focus for the visit of a Forres side who thumped them 4-0 at Mosset Park earlier this season.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Get a digital copy of the Grampian Group delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More