Home   Sport   Article

Keith miss out on GPH Builders Merchants Highland League Cup final as Brora Rangers come from behind to defeat Maroons in Dudgeon Park semi

By Charlie Simpson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Brora Rangers 6 Keith 1

This was always going to be a tough ask for Keith, playing in a remarkable 24th Highland League Cup semi-final, tackling firm favourites Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park, and with three key players absent, the job was made even more difficult.

Yet, the guys brought into the starting line-up, in particular young goalkeeper Connor McLeod making his debut at the tender age of 18 years, six days, didn’t let the side down.

Keith captain James Brownie (left) scored in the League Cup semi defeat at Brora. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Keith captain James Brownie (left) scored in the League Cup semi defeat at Brora. Picture: Daniel Forsyth

Indeed, all those involved gave their all, but were overpowered by a strong, experienced, slick passing Brora side, whose three goals in ten minutes flurry just after half-time, left the Maroons gasping.

The Maroons drew first blood in the 12th minute when co-captain James Brownie spotted Brora goalie Logan Ross off his charge, and he cleverly curled the ball into the roof of the empty net from 20 yards for his third goal of the season.

It was level pegging five minutes later when Jordan MacRae cracked a beauty into the far corner of the net from out wide right.

Seven minutes on and Brora took the lead when several challenges were shrugged off and MacRae pounced to whip home from 15 yards.

As the half time break came, Keith were still well in with a shout of making a 13th League Cup Final, but three quickfire goals left them bewildered.

Five minutes into the second half as the visiting defence failed to clear its lines, Paul Brindle scrambled the ball home from close range.

Then, a super slide rule shot from Max Ewan from out wide right found the net, and it was well and truly tatties ower the side when Ewan simply slammed home for a nap hand.

The scoring was completed with 77 minutes played, James Wallace easily whipping a low shot into the back of the net.

Keith team: McLeod, Addison (Wilson 77), Yeats (Cheyne 61), Coull, Robertson, Morrison, Ironside (Lynch 61), Brownie, Cooper, Taylor (Tough 73), Killoh (Duncan 61).

Subs unused: Smith, McKeown.

Referee: G Morrison

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More