Home   Sport   Article

Debut boy Aaron Reid's stunning start fires Formartine United to victory over Keith

By Charlie Simpson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Lady Luck wasn’t smiling on Keith as they went first footing to high flying Formartine United on Saturday.

Keith's Mikey Ironside gets to grips with Formartine striker Julian Wade during United's 6-2 victory on Saturday. Photo: Phil Harman
Keith's Mikey Ironside gets to grips with Formartine striker Julian Wade during United's 6-2 victory on Saturday. Photo: Phil Harman

Saturday's Highland League round-up.

The Maroons scored inside four minutes, had another goal chalked off for offside in four minutes.

Another likely Keith goal was snubbed when the home goalie threw the ball off the back of Mikey Taylor’s head, the ball landing in the back of the net only for Taylor to be penalised and booked for a foul.

Nobody could deny they were the better side in the first half, but then a four goals in 14 minutes second half blitz, led by debut boy Aaron Reid’s treble left them gasping.

Keith, with Connor Macleod in between the sticks following Craig Reid going over his ankle prior to kick off, opened the scoring with 100 seconds on the clock, livewire Nathan McKeown pouncing to clip the ball into the empty net from 15 yards.

Then, with just over four minutes gone Adam Morrison rose to power home a header, but was deemed to be offside – it must have been a close call.

Shortly afterwards came the Taylor “incident” which left the visitors ruing their luck.

It was all square in the 24th minute, when the away rearguard stood off Adam Emslie, and the Aberdeen loanee fired a 16-yarder into the roof of the net.

Even then, the Maroons continued to keep the homesters on the back foot.

The opening stages of the second half though left Craig Ewen’s men gasping as Formartine upped their game.

Three minutes into the period, Reid scored a cracker from 18 yards, with Aidan Combe heading home two minutes later.

The goal of the game came, three minutes further on when Reid unleashed a drive from out on the left wing that flew into the top right hand corner of the net.

The big striker’s treble came when he rose to head home a corner in the 62nd minute. The former Aberdeen centre forward proved to be a hot handful for sure.

The Maroons battled gamely on, but were hit again in the latter stages, Brody Alberts making no mistake with a low drive.

Keith did have the final say in the dying seconds when a Connor Killoh shot was turned in by Kieran Yeats from six yards.

Keith team: Macleod, Coull, Yeats, Morrison, Robertson, Gill, Ironside (Duncan 64), Brownie, Cooper (Buchan), Taylor (Tough 69), McKeown (Killoh 64).

Referee: K Murray.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More