Home   Sport   Article

Keith 1 Huntly 3: Second cup exit in a week for Maroons as Huntly triumph in Morrison Motors (Turriff) Aberdeenshire Shield tie at Kynoch Park

By Charlie Simpson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Keith gave as good as they got against neighbours Huntly in the midweek Aberdeenshire District Shield quarter final tie, but ended up on the losing side.

Nathan McKeown (right) scored his first goal for Keith, and Huntly's Lyall Booth (left) was sent off. Picture: Beth Taylor.
Nathan McKeown (right) scored his first goal for Keith, and Huntly's Lyall Booth (left) was sent off. Picture: Beth Taylor.

After falling two goals behind, they seemed to get back into the game with Nathan McKeown’s first goal for the club, only to lose a third goal barely a minute later.

Huntly have been flying high this season, but in the first half there was nothing between the sides until the 32nd minute when the Maroons rearguard failed to clear an Alex Thoirs cross and Robbie Foster headed home at the back post.

Keeping it to a one-goal deficit playing against the elements in the first half gave the homesters, five times winners of the Shield, hope of getting back into the game.

Crucial saves from Craig Reid had also kept it to only the one goal. However, within four minutes of the re-start, the Strathbogie outfit doubled the score when Brodie Allen slammed home from 12 yards.

The Maroons stuck to their task however, and seemed to be back in the frame with nine minutes remaining when McKeown raced in to slam a low drive into the bottom corner of the net.

Barely a minute later though, Foster latched onto a Joe Gauld through ball to slot past the helpless Reid from 15 yards.

Huntly, looking for their ever District Shield triumph, were reduced to ten men in the dying seconds when Lyall Booth received a second yellow card.

They now play host to Banks O’Dee in the semi final with Aberdeen at home to Buckie Thistle in the other last four tie.

Keith: Reid, Addison (McKeown 67), Cheyne, Coull, Robertson, Gill, Lynch, Brownie, Cooper (Killoh 87), Tough (Ironside 75), Duncan (Taylor 67). Subs: Yeats, Smith, Morrison, MacLeod.

Huntly: Hobday, Connelly, Booth, Clark, Still, Thoirs (Gauld 74), Crosbie, Still, Sewell, Dangana (Murray 74), Allen (Hunter 71), Foster. Subs: Morrison, Sparkes, Craig, Heslop, Grant.

Referee: L Brown

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More