Home   Sport   Article

Formartine United beaten by Banks O'Dee

By Contributor

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

Banks O’Dee 2 Formartine United 1

There were a number of relevant sub-texts to this game none of which aided United’s cause.

The first is that Banks are currently managed by United’s last manager, Paul Lawson and the second, by no means unrelated, is that a couple of months back a 10-man Formartine side experienced their biggest defeat in recent memory in the form of a 5-0 defeat by Banks at North Lodge Park in the Aberdeenshire Shield.

Unrelated to that is the fact that United’s next game is away to former winners of the Scottish Cup, Falkirk, in round three of the competition and for many of the players arguably the biggest game in their careers to date.

Whether any or all of the above crossed the minds of the United players on this cold, dreich and dark afternoon in Aberdeen, their overall performance lacked the fizz, sparkle and exuberance to which their fans have grown accustomed to.

The gloom of the afternoon was intensified by the fact that this defeat removes United from top slot in the table in favour of Brechin who now sit two points above them with three games in hand, one place and a single point better than Buckie who likewise have three games in hand.

The game started in Stygian gloom that was relieved well before half-time by the use of the Spain Park floodlights.

Banks were out of the traps faster than their visitors and forced a couple of corners on the right. Neither produced anything significantly threatening for United but it took the visitors a minute or two longer than they would have wished to apply any pressure in the counter direction.

The game evolved into a pattern of probing for weaknesses by both sides but also where, initially at least, defences were on top.

Both sides could and did break from defence into the opposition territory with pace and there were half chances at each end.

Emslie made a couple of telling runs down the left for United before being blocked by Davidson and Kelly but the visitors had not really settled into their normal pattern of getting the ball up to Wade as early and directly as possible before Banks hit them with an early opening goal.

Golding had already demonstrated the extent of his skills before his 16th minute opener. Picking up a throw in from his left to the left centre of the United box he twisted and turned enough to create the space to get the ball over to the far post where it was returned to him and he was able to thump the ball low across the goalmouth and into the net at the base of the back post.

There was little to pick between the two sides over the next 15 minutes; possesion was fairly evenly divided and each side showed the ability to break at pace and get numbers up in support when needed.

Perhaps at this point the home side were able to sustain pressure in opposition territory for slightly longer at a time than United but there was little in it.

In the 37th minute Lobban took a free kick in the centre about 35 yards out from goal. He swung it to a group of United players on the left side of the box and Smith hit a dipper to the back post where under cover of darkness it was only partly cleared and fell for Lawrence who despatched it well beyond Hobban’s reach to equalise.

That brought light to the proceedings and the hosts, perhaps fearing that their visitors were possessed of superior night vision, turned on the floodlights.

United started the second half with a bit of a push but it was contained comfortably enough.

However, it took Banks only six minutes to regain the lead. It was a goal that United should have prevented as the result of a fairly routine set piece deriving from a full back being left clear a bit right of centre and about 35 yards out.

Wilson slung the ball over to the left side of the area where Macleod with a fair whiff of offside, rose with very little challenge to head the ball past Macdonald from about 12 yards out.

It was a decent enough header but he was given too much latitude in delivering it and the defender who played the ball in had a lot of time in which to do it.

The single goal victory was fairly just for this game. Formartine probably had more of the pressure and territory over the remaining 40 minutes or so but they were chasing the game and trying to hold onto the top slot in the league and you would not expect anything less.

However, you would not expect anything less than the opportunities for a few dramatic counter attacks from the home side either and these came too.

The closest to success among them was in the 80th minute from a break down the left that fed Macleod who reached the left corner of the United box to let fly a vicious drive that rebounded from the inside of the far post along the goal line before being cleared away to safety.

The season is not yet at its midpoint and United have home games to come against all their major rivals so there is a lot to look forward to.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More