Home   Sport   Article

Jordan Cooper goal gives Keith first Highland League victory since early December to see off Turriff United at Kynoch Park

By Charlie Simpson

Register for free to read more of the latest local news. It's easy and will only take a moment.

Click here to sign up to our free newsletters!

For the first time since December 9 last year, Keith fans went to bed with smiles on their faces following their rousing midweek win over Turriff United.

Keith FC's Jordan Cooper...Picture: Daniel Forsyth..
Keith FC's Jordan Cooper...Picture: Daniel Forsyth..

The Maroons ended a seven game losing run in an enthralling tussle that saw Jordan Cooper’s fifth goal of the season clinch a valuable three points, a rare clean sheet and the league double over their much-fancied opponents.

Recent outings have seen Keith perform admirably without no return, but this was a vital win, and make no mistake, they had to apply themselves throughout which, to their credit they did.

Turriff haven’t beaten the Maroons for six years, and this was a tussle that panned out in such a way that Craig Ewen’s men had to be at the top of their game.

Keith goalie Craig Reid and ex-Maroons custodian David Dey, now at Turriff, both pulled off fine saves in the opening half hour.

Then, just as it looked like being a goal-less first half, a slick three-man move ended with Cooper drilling the ball into the bottom corner of the net from 12 yards.

The Maroons forced the issue in the second half, and Dey had to look nifty to tip over a Gavin Elphinstone lob, then a superb driving run by Elphinstone saw him cut the ball into Jake Stewart’s path and his volley flew inches over the bar.

The Turra custodian also pulled off a fine save to deny Craig Gill whilst at the other end Reid brilliantly foiled Ewan Clark at the back post.

Twice in the final five minutes the homesters could have extended the lead, firstly when Ryan Robertson’s net bound header was somehow kept out by Dey, then Connor Killoh fired wide when it was easier to score.

The sighs of relief could be heard when the referee blew his peeper after five minutes of stoppage time, not because Keith were hanging on, but the fact that the losing streak had ended, and a win that nobody begrudged.

Keith: Reid, Addison (Buchan), Lynch, Coull, Robertson, Gill, Elphinstone (Killoh), Brownie, Stewart (McKeown), Taylor (Tough), Cooper (Ironside). Subs: Smith, Macleod.

Referee: F Mazzoni.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More