Work to start on replacing destroyed bridge
Get a digital copy of the Grampian Group editions delivered straight to your inbox every week
The site at Milton of Tillynaught where the replacement bridge will cross the Burn of Boyne.
A BRIDGE swept away by a raging flood near Cornhill 18 months ago is set to be replaced by Aberdeenshire Council.
The stone structure at Milton of Tillynaught was completely destroyed by relentless, heavy rain in November, 2009 and has been out of action since – leaving nearby residents with no crossing over the Burn of Boyne and using lengthy detours.
At the Banff and Buchan area committee meeting last week, councillors approved works to see a replacement bridge erected at the site.
Area committee chairman Councillor Sydney Mair said: "It is vital that this is bridge is re-instated and residents and farmers can use it again."
The bridge will cross a minor road leading from the Banff to Cornhill road heading west to join the B9022 road to Portsoy.
The original structure was badly damaged by a day of heavy and persistent rain on November 1, 2009.
It was closed to traffic so that repairs could be carried out, but collapsed before the work could be done.
A planning spokesman said: "It is important to reinstate a crossing over the Burn of Boyne to enable public access and to address future problems with flooding and damage to the roads network."
The proposed bridge will be flat and made of galvanised steel with concrete abutments. It will also include a footway.
The original estimate to replace it was £1.3 million, but that figure was reduced after the crossing was de-listed. The replacement will be built for about £550,000.
The local authority has not said when the work will start.