Home   Sport   Article

Wick Academy 1 Keith 0: Missed penalty and red card as Keith lose at Harmsworth Park

By Jonathan Clark

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

KEITH were left to rue an early missed penalty after going down to a 1-0 defeat against Wick Academy on Saturday.

The Maroons remain pointless and goalless after their opening two fixtures, with striker Matty Tough missing a third-minute penalty kick.

Matthew Tough (front) with Logan Johnstone behind...Keith v Huntly at Kynoch Park...Picture: Becky Saunderson..
Matthew Tough (front) with Logan Johnstone behind...Keith v Huntly at Kynoch Park...Picture: Becky Saunderson..

Craig Ewen’s side also had to play the last half an hour a man light after co-captain Ryan Robertson was sent off for two bookable offences.

The Maroons could probably count themselves unfortunate not to gain anything from the game, with the display much-improved from the 4-0 loss to Huntly in the Aberdeenshire Cup.

Playing down the Harmsworth Park slope in the first half, the visitors were awarded an early penalty when Matty Tough was impeded by home goalkeeper Graeme Williamson. The striker proceeded to hit a timid spot kick, giving Williamson a comfortable save.

With 32 minutes played, the Maroons had the ball in the back of the net, only for it to be chalked off for offside. Dem Yunus, playing a forward role, cut the ball across to Tough who swept home from close range, only for the flag to be raised.

Two minutes into the second period came the only goal of the game when Connor Grant, returning on loan from Fraserburgh, hit a tame pass back to Craig Reid which Gordon McNab nimbly intercepted before running through and firing in from 10 yards.

Tough had the chance to redeem his penalty miss with 57 minutes on the clock when he latched onto a neat James Brownie through ball, but fired straight at the keeper.

A minute later the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Robertson received a second yellow card for an infringement on Sean Campbell. Keith didn’t capitulate and nearly grabbed a leveller with four minutes left when substitute Joey Wilson fired an angled shot inches wide.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More