Home   Sport   Article

Methlick's Hordley scores a debut century

By David Porter

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

After last week’s big win at home to Siyapa, Methlick were looking to keep up the momentum at Stonehaven with debutant Mike Hordley stepping in for Adam Veersema and the long-awaited return of the silver fox Colin Addison.

Given the strength of the MCC line-up it was quite surprising to be put in to bat and things began well for the home team as Woodhouse played on from a bouncing ball.

This brought out the in-form Steve Murphy to join Alasdair Smith and the score progressed at a steady three runs per over for the first 15 overs.

The demise of Smith, bowled by Dicks for 28, coincided with the second string attack coming on to face the wrath of Murphy and Hordley, the latter putting the first ball away to the boundary.

By the 20 over half-way mark the run rate was at 5 an over and the hundred came up.

A combination of short and over pitched bowling was treated with relish by the two batsmen both reaching 50 in a very short space of time.

Murphy was finally out to Ousterhousen, top edging a ball to the wicketkeeper that could have just as easily been put away.

Another great knock from the burly batsman scoring 83 and taking the score to 171 with a third wicket stand of 99.

Hordley was joined by Tom Acton, farming the strike to keep up the momentum and the 200 came up in the 32nd over.

Finally a boundary from Hordley gave him a magnificent, and first, debut century.

He finally fell in the dying embers of the game to Dicks on 107.

The last three overs were left to put the icing on the cake and Methlick finished on a massive 269 for 6 with Acton out for 13 and Jamie Jones for a duck.

After tea Jones exacted his revenge in his first over removing the opener Montaj and Lynch for a golden with his very next ball.

A disastrous start for the home team.

The first 10 overs were then a matter of survival for Stonehaven.

The only surprise was that it took Duffy six overs before getting in on the action, bowling Thompson for a desperate 5.

Acton then bowled Dicks and it was then Addison’s chance to turn those rusty shoulders.

First ball to Snelling was right on the button and an under-edge nick was taken by Woodhouse behind the stumps for a dream start.

The only batsman to reach double figures was Galte, who also holed out to Addison.

Seven wickets were down for only 37 runs and Methlick maintained their relentless stranglehold on the game wrapping the home team up all out for 45.

A great performance from the Lairds side giving them a win by 220 runs, probably their greatest margin of victory yet.

A superb performance in the field saw no dropped chances, Cordiner taking three superb catches, and this takes them into next week’s home tie against Stoneywood Dyce brimming with confidence.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More