Home   Sport   Article

Keith, Rothes, Huntly and Buckie Thistle through in the Scottish Cup, with penalty heartbreak for Lossiemouth after 4-4 draw

By Jonathan Clark

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!

FOUR Moray clubs were in Scottish Cup action today – with Keith, Rothes and Buckie Thistle recording four-goal victories and Lossiemouth losing on penalties after a thrilling 4-4 draw.

Keith beat fellow Highland League side Fort William 5-1 at Kynoch Park. Cammy Keith wrote himself further into the club's history books – with his quick-fire first half brace breaking a 65-year-old record as he became the club's all-time top scorer in the Scottish Cup, with nine.

Cammy Keith celebrates his and Keith's opening goal. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Cammy Keith celebrates his and Keith's opening goal. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Cammy Keith celebrates after putting Keith 2-0 ahead. Picture: Daniel Forsyth
Cammy Keith celebrates after putting Keith 2-0 ahead. Picture: Daniel Forsyth

Buckie also won an all-Highland League tie, beating Strathspey Thistle 4-0 away from home, with Rothes winning by the same scoreline on the road, beating competition débutantes Newtongrange Star in convincing fashion.

With Forres Mechanics not taking part in the competition, Lossie were the only Moray side to lose – although they were more than a touch unfortunate to go down to Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale on penalties having come from 3-1 down to lead 4-3 before a late extra-time equaliser.

The matches were in the second preliminary round of the competition, with the winners qualifying for the first round proper. The draw for the first round will take place at tomorrow at 10am.

In total, there will be ten Highland League sides in the draw.

Huntly were 3-0 victors against Lowland League side Dalbeattie Star at Christie Park, while Nairn Country recorded a convincing 4-0 success against Threave Rovers.

Formartine United and Turriff United will try again in midweek, with both sides in the hat after the clash between the two today was postponed. Wick Academy's home tie with Musselburgh Athletic was also called off.

Brora Rangers and Fraserburgh both enter the competition in the next round, along with Elgin City and the rest of the League Two clubs.

There will be some north junior representation in the first round, too, as Banks O'Dee cruised past Vale of Leithen.

Clachnacuddin, Deveronvale and Inverurie Loco Works were all knocked out by opposition from outwith the Highland League.

RESULTS: Banks O'Dee 6-1 Vale of Leithen; Blackburn United 1-1 Civil Service Strollers (2-4 on pens); BSC Glasgow 2-3 Haddington Athletic; Clachnacuddin 1-2 Caledonian Braves; Deveronvale 1-4 Camelon Juniors; Dundonald Bluebell 4-2 Easthouse Lily; Dunipace 1-3 Berwick Rangers; East Stirlingshire 5-0 Inverurie Locos; Edinburgh University 1-2 Tranent Juniors; Gala Fairydean Rovers 6-0 Wigtown and Bladnoch; Hill of Beath Hawthorn 2-1 Whitehill Welfare; Huntly 3-0 Dalbeattie Star; Jeanfield Swifts 3-1 University of Stirling; Keith 5-1 Fort William; Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale 4-4 Lossiemouth (4-2 on pens); Nairn County 4-0 Threave Rovers; Newton Stewart 0-3 Broxburn Athletic; Newtongrage Star 0-4 Rothes; Spartans 2-1 East Kilbride; Strathspey Thistle 0-4 Buckie Thistle; Tynecastle 2-3 Cumbernauld Colts; Coldstream P-P Bo'ness United; Formartine United P-P Turriff United; Preston Athletic P-P Hawick Royal Albert United; Wick Academy P-P Musselburgh Athletic; Glasgow University v Linlithgow Rose (Sunday)

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Keep up-to-date with important news from your community, and access exclusive, subscriber only content online. Read a copy of your favourite newspaper on any device via the brand new HNM App.

Learn more

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More