Home   Sport   Article

Formartine's Scottish Cup journey comes to an end

By Kyle Ritchie

Get the Grampian Group sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper

Formartine United's Scottish Cup run has come to an end after they were beaten 5-0 by Motherwell.

The Scottish Premiership side were the visitors to a sunny North Lodge Park in what was to be the final game of the season for the Pitmedden side.

United were unable to replicate their heroics of the last round when they defeated League Two side Annan Athletic, with the top flight team proving too strong.

However, it was the home side that started quickest with a cross from Jonathan Crawford that found Garry Wood but his header was saved by Motherwell keeper Liam Kelly.

The away side then started to show their dominance and scored their first goal when United goalkeeper Kevin Main came to collect the ball but was left stranded and Chris Long managed to evade him and the defence and slot into the empty net.

Motherwell increased their lead just before half-time when a cross found Jordan Roberts and he made no mistake with his effort past Main.

Formartine took on Motherwell at North Lodge Park.
Formartine took on Motherwell at North Lodge Park.

Shortly into the second half the visitors made it 3-0 when the ball fell to Roberts and from close range he scored again. The Formartine players protested that he was offside but referee Mike Roncone gave the goal.

Motherwell were in the ascendancy and scored their fourth when a cross from Stephen O'Donnell found Devante Cole and he headed the ball into the net.

The scoring was completed when Allan Campbell ran in on goal and fired the ball home.

Motherwell's Stephen Lawless on the ball.
Motherwell's Stephen Lawless on the ball.

For United manager Paul Lawson it was a disappointing and frustrating result.

He said: "People will look at it it's a Premiership club they should be winning the game but the manner in which we lost some of the goals was probably the most frustrating thing.

"It is disappointing because we were well in the game until we lost the first goal.

"Garry Wood had a great chance but other than that I don't think we did too much in the game. All it takes is one mistake and you are going to get punished playing a team at that level.

"We couldn't afford any mistakes and unfortunately we lose that first goal and we then lost our concentration a bit.

"Going in at half-time 2-0 down is difficult and when the third one goes in it's then damage limitation after that but we couldn't quite see it out.

"5-0 is not a great scoreline for us but ultimately other than ourselves, I don't think many people gave us much of a chance but we would like to have thought we could have done something more."

Formartine manager Paul Lawson said it was a disappointing and frustrating result.
Formartine manager Paul Lawson said it was a disappointing and frustrating result.

United's Scottish Cup run saw them beat Turriff United, Haddington Athletic and Annan Athletic on their way to playing Motherwell.

Lawson added: "This season has been a really tough one for the players with it being so stop-start.

"In the game against Annan we were understandably rusty but full credit goes to the boys for getting us through and getting to this point.

"The match down in Haddington was a difficult day but again we came through that one, so we've done great and over the last few years we've had some good runs in the cup. We can be proud of what we've done but today there will be a few frustrated players."

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Get a digital copy of the Grampian Group delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More