Home   Sport   Article

Formartine United beat Buckie Thistle in penalties to reach Aberdeenshire Cup final

By Kyle Ritchie

Get the Grampian Online newspaper titles sent to your inbox every week and swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper

Formartine United booked their place in the final of the 2020-21 Aberdeenshire Cup with a penalty shootout victory over Buckie Thistle.

The Jags had a number of chances during the match to win the game at North Lodge Park but a great performance from United goalkeeper Ewen Macdonald kept his team in it.

With neither team managing to score the game went straight to penalties with Formartine winning 7-6 in the spot kicks.

United will now face either Fraserburgh or Keith in the final, with the competition having been carried over from last season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Formartine started the game brightly with Kieran Lawrence having an effort at goal but Buckie goalkeeper Kevin Main, who recently rejoined Thistle from United, denied him.

At the other end Buckie's Scott Adams was then through on goal but his shot was stopped by Macdonald and went out for a corner. It was crossed in by Andrew MacAskill and found Sam Urquhart but his header went wide.

Thistle continued the pressure with an Adams' free kick being saved by Macdonald and the keeper was also there to stop Urquhart's rebound.

Just before half-time Buckie captain Kevin Fraser was next to have a chance but his shot at goal went over the crossbar.

Formartine were struggling to make any impact up front and test Main but were having better success in defence.

In the second half Buckie continued their pressure and it was Max Barry who had the first opportunity at goal but Macdonald was there to save.

The visitors then came close to scoring when a corner found Sam Morrison but his bullet header crashed off the crossbar.

Thistle continued to press to find a goal with Kyle MacLeod having a headed chance but he could not find the net.

Hamish Munro was then through on goal but he was stopped by Formartine defender Jonny Crawford.

Formartine had a ball crossed into the Buckie box but there was no takers for it.

Macdonald then pulled off two more saves as the game came to a close denying Urquhart and Sam Pugh.

There was no extra-time and the game went straight to penalties with Crawford missing Formartine's first spot kick, which hit the post.

Both teams had a high standard of penalties but Hamish Munro missed Buckie's fourth, which took it to sudden death.

Formartine's new signing Ryan Spink scored their eighth penalty and Macdonald continued his heroics to save Fraser's spot kick to win the game for the home side and see them progress to the final.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

Get a digital copy of the Grampian Group delivered straight to your inbox every week allowing you to swipe through an exact replica of the day's newspaper - it looks just like it does in print!


This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More