Home   Sport   Article

Brechin blast in five past Turriff

By David Porter

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Have a look at our brand new digital subscription packages!

United vs Brechin. Picture: David Porter
United vs Brechin. Picture: David Porter

In what turned surprisingly turned out not to be the highest score achieved by a visiting team in the Highland League, Brechin claimed a comfortable win over Turriff United, sending in four first half goals and a final minute effort for no reply.

A solid performance at the Haughs saw Brechin reduce the gap between them and league leaders Fraserburgh to just three points following a first half flurry of goals that put the visitors into an untouchable lead.

The bulk of this came in the first 30 minutes where they netted four goals and set up the worrying prospect of a double figure defeat.

It took only four minutes for Max Kucheriavyi to open the scoring for Brechin with an essentially open goal shot from around 15 yards out on the right of the box having casually worked his way around the Turriff defence.

With only keeper David Dey in the way, it was a simple matter to slot it home in the bottom left corner.

Both teams were still in essence testing each other out and Turriff's Murray Esson took a rare break in the Brechin defence to take a stab at goal only to see it stopped by the keeper.

The second goal came on 21 minutes for Brechin's Iain Davidson who rattled one home from the edge of the box, having collected it from a corner and sending it through a collection of bodies in the box.

With their continued dominance of the game, a third was always not far away and despite some failed attempts on goal, it came on 28 minutes when Marc Scott in space on the right hand edge of the box launched a spiralling rocket which sailed past Dey into the top left hand corner, to the applause of the entire crowd for what was certainly the goal of the match and would surely be a strong contender in any goal of the season award.

A fourth was to come shortly after when Julian Wade added another goal following great build up play from Cammie Ross which left Wade to slot it home from 10 yards out into the bottom right corner.

United vs Brechin. Picture: David Porter
United vs Brechin. Picture: David Porter

With just 30 minutes gone, the home side found themselves 0-4 down and Brechin looked hungry enough to keep adding to their total.

For the most part however this was not to be, and having survived to half time with no more in the back of the net, the second half would see a different approach from Turriff.

Instead, the second half saw Turriff sit much closer on their opponents, shutting them down much faster and in particular become wise very quickly to a repeated Brechin play from corners which saw them send the ball into the box, kick it up field and then try and beat the defence back into the box for a clear shot on goal, a tactic they tried on four separate occasions, none of which paid off.

Despite being held in the second half, Brechin were not done and David Cox added a fifth in stoppage time when he converted a cross from fellow substitute Garry Wood.

Elsewhere in the league Rothes move above Brechin City into second place thanks to goal difference having beaten Forres 7-0.

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More