Home   News   Article

North-east farmers urged to apply for wide vehicle dispensation ahead of harvest

By David Porter

Easier access to your trusted, local news. Subscribe to a digital package and support local news publishing.

NFU Scotland is urging farmers and crofters to apply to Police Scotland now for an agricultural dispensation for wide vehicle movements ahead of harvest.

The scheme, which NFU Scotland agreed with Police Scotland following extensive discussions, means that members with wide vehicles can apply for a dispensation to avoid having to notify police for each individual movement.

Abnormal load dispensations are required if a vehicle and implement is over three metres in width and/or projects more than four metres.

Farmers and contractors should check the dimensions of their vehicles and implement, and any vehicle which exceeds these dimensions or may exceed them with an implement attached should be included on the dispensation. The application is simple and free of charge.

Farmers or contractors wanting to use this scheme can obtain an application form from Police Scotland, or members can get it from NFU Scotland by logging into the member’s section of the Union’s website and using the form enclosed in the Business Guide, or requesting a form from info@nfus.org.uk.

The completed form should be emailed to: OSDAbnormalLoadsScotland@scotland.police.uk

On receipt of this form, if deemed appropriate for a dispensation, Police Scotland will issue a dispensation letter. It is important for recipients to check the details of the dispensation and carry the letter in all vehicles covered by it.

NFU Scotland members looking for more information in relation to wide vehicle movement requirements can seek advice from the free NFU Scotland helpline for transport and vehicles.

NFUS Transport Advisor, Jamie Smart, who runs NFU Scotland’s transport and vehicles helpline said: “It is important that farmers wishing to move vehicles or implements over three metres combined width, or with a front or rear overhang exceeding four metres, must obtain a dispensation from Police Scotland.

“It is recommended that farmers requiring a dispensation or looking to renew or amend their existing dispensation notices, apply in plenty of time.

“A copy of the dispensation document should be carried in vehicles pertaining to it and produced in the event Police Scotland stop the vehicle.

"We once again thank Police Scotland for their continued support of this scheme, which NFU Scotland successfully pushed to have introduced.”

Members can log in to the member section on the website and go to: https://www.nfus.org.uk/nfuscontent/business-guides/17779/dispensation-for-wide-vehicle-movements

An agricultural dispensation form is available for NFU Scotland members who can call 0131 472 4000 or email: info@nfus.org.uk

Do you want to respond to this article? If so, click here to submit your thoughts and they may be published in print.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More