COVID-19 leads to Run Garioch being cancelled
Run Garioch has been cancelled due to COVID-19 and delayed until Sunday, 13 September.
Over the last few weeks, the race committee and Garioch Sports Centre have been monitoring the situation with regard to the virus and potential impact on everyone involved in the event.
The event was scheduled to take place on Sunday, March 29.
Race Support Manager Christine Appel told the Advertiser: "Over the last few weeks, the RG2020 Race Committee and the Garioch Sports Centre have been monitoring the situation with regard to COVID-19 and its potential impact on everyone involved in our event: runners, spectators, staff, volunteers and suppliers.
"With the health and wellbeing of everyone in our community at the forefront of everything we do at RGHQ and the GSC, it is clear to us today that the only responsible course of action for us to take is to postpone the event.
"Bearing in mind other running events already in the local diary, and the availability of the GSC, key staff and suppliers, the new date for RG2020 will be in September.
"We realise that the date we have chosen may not suit everyone.
" Due to the costs we have already incurred, and will be incurring because of the postponement, we regret that we will not be able to offer refunds or deferrals to 2021.
"We have, however, updated the entry system to allow runners to transfer their own entries to someone else, free of charge, until the end of August."
She added about the decision: "In addition, because the events are sold out, we will be opening up waiting lists.
"Runners who can’t attend the new date and are also unable to find someone who would like to take their entry can contact us for assistance with a transfer.
"For those who will be running with us in September, your bib and timing chip will work as normal.
"We hope that all our runners understand the decision we have taken , and understand that postponement is the only way for us to run the event safely.
"We need each and every one of our marshals, volunteers, medics, staff and support crew on race day, and in the current environment, that cannot be taken for granted.
"We can assure you this is not a decision we have taken lightly, and hope that each and every one of you will be able to join us on Sunday, 13 September."